The advantages of burning beeswax candles are huge and I’m betting you’ll be shocked by most of them! When you get pleasure from a candle burning in your house however have heard of the hazards of conventional candles, you’ll be excited to study that pure beeswax candles can enhance your air high quality, burn longer and emit much less smoke and soot. And these are only a few of the explanations you’ll need to burn beeswax candles after studying this put up!
Most of us are conversant in utilizing beeswax in our skincare recipes. Beeswax is a pure substance made by bees that really thickens oils. Balms and Salves are made by heating oils and beeswax. As soon as the combination cools, you may have a stable balm. I wrote an in-depth put up on all of the wonderful and thrilling pores and skin advantages of beeswax.
Beeswax additionally may be made into candles. Very wholesome candles with distinctive advantages I ought to add. Let’s discover out why!
How beeswax is made is an advanced query however in very primary phrases, beeswax is an excretion of the younger feminine honeybee after she eats honey. It’s goal is to type the construction of the hive the place honey and bee eggs are saved. Feminine honey bees have 8 glands of their stomachs to provide beeswax and excrete it by way of a particular wax gland on their abdomen. It’s excreted as liquid however hardens as soon as it’s out of the bee’s physique. The employee bees come and mould the beeswax into honeycombs with their jaws.
Apparently sufficient, beeswax is barely produced by the bees in the course of the months of April by way of June.
Why Burn Beeswax Candles over Different Candles?
Good high quality beeswax candles are freed from synthetic dyes, dangerous chemical substances and different air pollution. Burning a beeswax candle can truly lead to cleaner air on your house. Many different varieties of candles that don’t include all pure elements reminiscent of paraffin and soy wax candles truly degrade the air high quality and trigger respiratory points. Under are 2 scientific research backing up this info.
A 2014 study concluded that the conventional use of candles doesn’t pose a risk to the well being of the buyer. It confirmed that though poisonous chemical substances like formaldehyde and benzene have been emitted by burning candles, the quantity was nonetheless below the really helpful restrict set by the World Well being Group. Come to search out out, that examine was carried out by scientist that had affiliations with candle producers reminiscent of SCI Johnson & Son and Procter and Gamble.
A 2015 Korean study concluded that burning candles emitted VOC (unstable natural compounds) whether or not lit or unlit and “ought to act as potent sources of VOC emission in indoor environments.” VOC publicity may cause complications, migraines, irritation to the eyes, nostril and throat in addition to inflicting harm to the nervous system, kidneys and liver.
Associated Submit: DIY Beeswax Lip Balm (Burt’s Bees Dupe)
What’s the Downside With Paraffin Candles?
There are a number of various kinds of candles. The most well-liked kind of candles are paraffin candles. They’re common for good reason-they are low cost and simply discovered at any drug retailer. Paraffin is a petroleum by-product from the processes used to refine crude oil into fuels like gasoline. The by-product is definitely a black sludge that must be bleached with a substance that’s 10x extra concentrated than family bleach.
Paraffin wax additionally incorporates a bevy of unpronounceable poisonous chemical substances in addition to doable poisonous metallic wicks and synthetic fragrances that containing parabens, phthalates and sulfates.
In keeping with the EPA (Environmental Safety Company), paraffin wax candles are the main reason behind indoor air air pollution.
When poisonous candles are burned, they launch unstable natural, poisonous compounds like lead, formaldehyde, naphthalene and phthalates. Between the paraffin and fragrances, carcinogenic soot is launched and may be hassle for the respiratory system, particularly for these affected by bronchial asthma. Together with pets!
Phthalates are launched into the air when burning candles and have been recognized to trigger hormone points that may result in diabetes, start defects and most cancers.
What’s the Downside With Soy Candles?
Whereas soy candles are a better option than paraffin candles, soy wax has loads of problems with it’s personal. First off, soy just isn’t a pure wax. It’s a heavy metallic hydrogenated oil. Plus 96% of soy beans grown world wide are genetically modified by Monsanto. There may be additionally an enormous quantity of chemical substances and pesticides getting used on soybean crops.
Associated Submit: DIY Lotion Bars
Advantages of Beeswax Candles:
- The primary advantage of beeswax candles is enhancing indoor air high quality. When beeswax burns, it releases detrimental ions. Pollution like mud, grime, animal dander and pollen have a optimistic cost and are primarily discovered suspended within the air. When the detrimental ions of the beeswax are launched, they connect to the optimistic ions of the pollution and neutralizes them. As soon as the grime, pollen and many others. is neutralized, they’re not a problem and usually fall to the bottom due to this fact, leaving the air cleansed. As a result of beeswax candles scale back indoor pollution, they’ll typically have a really optimistic impact on allergy victims and even relieve bronchial asthma signs!
- Beeswax candles are perfume free and have their very own pure scent. Whereas there’s a pure honey scent of beeswax candles, there is no such thing as a synthetic perfume added.
- Beeswax candles burn slower than most candles as a result of they’re extra dense. The truth is, they final 30-40% longer burn time than common candles!
- Much less soot as a result of excessive melting level is one other wonderful advantage of burning beeswax candles. Beeswax candles are positively a cleaner burning choice.
- Beeswax candles are vegetarian life-style pleasant as a result of beeswax just isn’t a by-product of animal fats.
- A heat glow paying homage to pure daylight is given off when burning a beeswax candle. They’ll scale back eye pressure and their mild is soothing to the eyes.
- As a result of greater melting level, beeswax candles are much less more likely to soften and drip.
- The environmental advantages of beeswax candles are that they’re biodegradable and a renewable useful resource.
- Beeswax doesn’t have a shelf life so your candles will final eternally!
Associated Submit: DIY Beeswax Citronella Candles
DIY or BUY Beeswax Candles?
I’ve made my very own beeswax candles. I discovered that so as to make pure beeswax candles with high quality beeswax, it was costly. Additionally, I discovered it very difficult to forestall tunneling. Nonetheless, it’s an gratifying challenge to make your personal beeswax candles and I wrote an article detailing precisely methods to do it. Despite the fact that I’ve not perfected the artwork of candle making, I nonetheless like to make beeswax candles usually.
Shopping for beeswax candles is unquestionably the simpler choice. As with the whole lot, your supply is significant as a result of there are various candle firms providing beeswax candles that solely include about 50% beeswax.
I get my beeswax candles from Mountain Rose Herbs. Their candles are free from artificial fragrances, paraffin, and petroleum by-products. I’ve additionally purchased high-quality candles from the sisters at Quiet Light Candles. Supporting native beekeepers is the most effective supply of candles although since ingesting native honey in addition to burning native beeswax can scale back seasonal allergy symptoms!
I encourage you to leap into burning beeswax candles. There have been many individuals declare that by burning beeswax candles, their allergy symptoms have been eradicated in addition to a terrific aid with bronchial asthma! The truth is, I’m utilizing beeswax candles in my oldest daughter’s room to assist together with her coughing and respiration points. Imagine it or not we’ve needed to resort to an inhaler however she’s seeing enchancment and utilizing it means much less! I even have a great buddy who comes over nearly weekly who’s allergic to cats. I all the time burn beeswax candles about 2 hours earlier than she comes and to date she’s not had an assault!
If you’re searching for extra pure methods to “clear the air”, diffusing is an effective way to purify the air in addition to making a SAFE but efficient room spray recipe!