Opal is a novel and engaging gemstone that has been utilized in jewelry for millennia. With its distinctive play of colors and iridescence, opal jewelry is each stunning and attention-grabbing. Opals positively deserve a spot in your jewelry assortment, however what do you actually learn about them?
On this article, we’ll discover the historical past of opal jewelry, how opals are fashioned, and easy methods to take care of opal jewelry to make sure that it stays wanting stunning for years to return.
Let’s get began …
How are Opals Shaped?
The method begins when silica-rich water seeps down into cracks and crevices within the Earth’s crust. Over time, the water evaporates, abandoning a deposit of silica. As this course of repeats, layer upon layer of silica builds up, ultimately forming a stable mineral deposit that we all know as opal.
The method can take anyplace from 5 million to twenty million years, relying on the particular situations and components concerned. The result’s a novel and exquisite gemstone with a definite play of color, created by the best way gentle refracts by way of the layers of silica.
Not all opals function the iridescence and play of color seen notably in Australian opals, however as an alternative have extra of a stable colouring which will be white, yellow, pink, orange, pink and even black.
The Historical past of Opal Jewelry
Opals have been utilized in jewelry for hundreds of years, with among the earliest examples relationship again to historical Greece and Rome. Within the Center Ages, opals had been believed to have magical powers, they usually had been extremely prized by royalty and the rich.
By the nineteenth century, opal jewelry was changing into extra extensively out there, and it grew to become a well-liked alternative for engagement rings and different big day jewelry.
Within the twentieth century, opal jewelry grew to become much more in style and immediately it stays a well-liked alternative for jewelry lovers immediately. With its distinctive play of colors and iridescence, opal jewelry is a good way so as to add some color and persona to your jewelry assortment.
About Australian Opals
Australia is understood for producing among the finest opals in the world, with over 95% of the world’s provide of opals coming from the nation.
The primary opal was found in Australia within the 1840s, but it surely wasn’t till the late 1800s that opal mining started in earnest. The primary industrial opal mine opened in White Cliffs, New South Wales in 1890, and shortly after, different deposits had been present in areas resembling Coober Pedy, Lightning Ridge and Andamooka.
Opal mining in Australia continues to be largely a small-scale business, with most of the mines being family-run operations. Nonetheless, there are additionally bigger mining corporations that make use of tons of of individuals and produce vital quantities of opal annually.
At present, Australian opals are extremely wanted by collectors, jewelry designers and jewelry lovers world wide. With their distinctive and charming play of color, Australian opals proceed to be a very fashionable alternative for these in search of a particular and exquisite gemstone.
Take care of Opal Jewelry
Opals are comparatively delicate and require a little bit of particular care to maintain them wanting their greatest. Listed below are some suggestions for caring to your opal jewelry:
- Opal is sort of a comfortable gemstone, so retailer your opal jewelry individually from different jewelry to keep away from scratches and injury. Mushy fabric pouches or jewelry containers are perfect for storage of valuable jewelry.
- Clear your opal jewelry usually to take away filth and oil buildup. To wash opal jewelry, merely wash it in heat soapy water, rinse and dry totally. Try our complete jewelry cleansing information for extra suggestions.
- Keep away from getting your opal jewelry moist usually or for prolonged durations, particularly if the opals are doublets or triplets which have synthetic backings. We suggest taking it off when showering or swimming. In case your opal jewelry will get moist, you need to dry it rapidly and totally to stop injury.
- For prime worth opal jewelry, we suggest having your items professionally inspected and cleaned periodically to make sure that it stays in high situation.
- Keep away from exposing opal jewelry to harsh chemical substances, resembling bleach and cleansing brokers, as these can injury the gemstone. Take care if utilizing chemical cleaners on valuable metallic which has opals set into it: clear across the stones as greatest you possibly can and make sure you rinse and dry totally once you’re performed.
- By no means expose opal jewelry to excessive temperature modifications, as this may trigger the gemstone to crack or develop into discoloured. Particularly do not use a steam cleaner on opals.
Add Some Stunning Opal Jewelry to your Assortment
Opal jewelry is a ravishing and distinctive alternative of gemstone for jewelry lovers. Whether or not you are in search of an important day piece or simply an intriguing and subtly vibrant addition to your assortment, opals are a actually particular possibility.
At Simone Walsh Jewelry we now have a collection of inexpensive opal jewelry, together with some small and exquisite Australian opals, Mexican hearth opals and stable color variants in pinks, yellows and whites.
Try our opal jewelry vary, together with our full gemstone jewelry assortment. We’re positive you may discover one thing you’re keen on.